fdrawcmd.sys is a floppy filter driver for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7/8.
The driver exposes command-level access to the µPD765a floppy disk controller, making it possible to read/write many non-standard and copy-protected disk formats.
It's also free for use by both commercial and non-commercial applications.
- Windows 2000 or later, either 32-bit or 64-bit (x64)
- Non-USB floppy drive connected to motherboard floppy port
Version 188.8.131.52, last updated 25th April 2010 [changelog]
Advanced features unique to this driver:
- Writing CRC errors with specific sector contents
- Writing sectors with missing data fields
- Writing truncated sectors (e.g. 8K sectors on double-density tracks)
- Weak or partially weak sectors
- Duplicate sector numbers on the same track
- Mixed-mode track formatting
- Multi-pass track formatting for tighter formats
- 2-drive raw track reading of Amiga disks (Disk2FDI method)
- Simple 3-click install/upgrade process, or silent no-click install
- No need to replace existing Windows floppy driver
- No need to disable virus-scanners for floppy access
- Administrator rights not needed to use driver once installed
Can I use a USB floppy drive?
No — USB floppy drives contain a separate floppy controller chip, which is not directly accessible from the host PC. Without access to that it's simply not possible to support formats beyond what the drive chooses to expose (typically DOS 720K and 1.44M formats only).
What disk formats are supported?
Most PC-compatible soft-sectored disks should work. If there's an existing DOS/Linux utility for them, you should have no problems. If in doubt, scan the disks with SAMdisk and see what shows up.
The level of support does still depend on the specific FDC chip in your PC. Some have problems with FM encoded disks, others with 128-byte sectors. The short-write feature of the driver relies on proper DMA behaviour too. These issues shouldn't be a problem for the majority of users and disk formats.
I've connected a second drive but B: isn't available. Why not?
Many modern motherboards only support a single floppy drive. If your BIOS doesn't show a drive type for B: then it's unlikely to be supported by your floppy controller chip.
This also applies to the Disk2FDI method used to read standard Amiga disks. It will only work with a second drive connected to the same cable, and your FDC must support both drives. Again, a USB floppy drive cannot be used for the second drive.
How do I use the driver to read/write disk images?
Will installing the driver fix my non-working floppy drive?
No, it'll make absolutely no difference. The driver doesn't replace the existing Windows driver, it just extends it to provide additional functionality.
The following applications are known to use fdrawcmd.sys:
- 1581Disk - Commodore 1581 disk utility
- adfread - Amiga disk reader by Toni Wilen
- Amiga Forever - Featured in the 2006 edition
- BkDisk - BK-0010/BK-0011 disk utility by Serge Vakulenko
- Casio Utilities - Casio pocket computer utility by Marcus von Cube
- CPCDiskXP - Amstrad CPC disk utility by Óscar Sanchez
- CoCoDisk - Tandy / Radio Shack Color Computer disk utility
- DiskManip - TRS-80 Model I/II/III disk utility by Aaron Brockbank
- DPXTOOLS - Oberheim DPX-1 utilities by Kris Van de Cappelle
- Embird - computerised embroidery suite
- Fdio - HP9845 disk utility by Ansgar Kückes
- FloImg - Atari ST disk utility by Pera Putnik
- HCDisk - HC disk utility by George Chirtoacã
- HxCFloppyEmulator - floppy disk dump tool by Jean-François DEL NERO
- LibDsk - John Elliott's floppy disc / disc image access library
- ManageDsk - Ludovic Deplanque's EDSK disk utility
- mdisk - Mirage disk utility by Craig Vanderborgh
- PALE - Camputers Lynx emulator by Pete Todd
- Prophet2000Tools - Prophet 2000/2002 sampler tools by ///E-Synthesist
- RealSpectrum - Sinclair Spectrum emulator from Ramsoft
- SainT - Atari ST emulator by Arnaud Carré
- SAMdisk - Advanced disk image utility
- SimCoupe - SAM Coupé emulator for Windows/Mac/Unix/...
- TRRead - TR-DOS disk reader by dr.Titus
- uBee512/uBeeDisk - Microbee emulator and disk utility by The MSPP Team
- UKDSK - UKNC disk image utility by Alexey Kisly
- Vcc - Tandy Color Computer 3 emulator by Joseph Forgione
- WinAPE - Amstrad CPC emulator by Richard Wilson
- WinTRD - TR-DOS utilities by Alexandr Medvedev
- WinUAE - Windows port of the UAE Amiga Emulator
- ZX Disk Studio - TR-DOS utility by Sergej Borzenko
Plus many other LibDsk-enabled applications for Windows!